What is this?

This blog will be a resource for recording thoughts, ideas, schemes, and anything else that develops on the way to forming a unified voice and center for the Charleston arts community. Everything presented here is subject to change.

How does this work?

There will be a designated set of authors who will be responsible for posting topics for discussion, to begin with anyone may comment on a discussion topic or suggest a new post but only the authors may post new topics (this is mostly to avoid spamming and over posting). In time this can develop into an online wiki or discussion board style web page of information and ideas, but at the moment a blog is the most direct, immediate and open way to track the development of the ideas being developed. if you have a suggestion or want to post please send email to
charlestonartscoalition@gmail.com

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Call for Artists/Musicians/Actors/Singers for After School Arts Program

Hi everyone. I am sending this email to all of you because I think you or someone you know might be able to help me out with an after school program I'm putting together for the kids at Nativity School on James Island (SC) where I teach music to K4-8th. I came on this past year at Nativity to build a music program and also with the long term goal of restructuring and growing the fine arts curriculum there. I've made a lot of progress but I can only do so much by myself. Before you think I'm about to beg, let me tell you this opportunity would pay! YES! HUGE BUCKS! okay, not huge, but I want to offer creative arts as part of our after school choices for the kids. There's one dance class currently, but not much else that isn't sports. My ideas for classes stem from my childhood experiences and memories -- I'll share a few of them with you to give you an idea of what I'm looking for : art (can be more specific media), guitar, strings, percussion, music theory, songwriting, drama/acting, voice, honor choir, music technology, etc... There will be smartboards in the classrooms (google link for "smartboards" http://its.leesummit.k12.mo.us/smartboard.htm ) so you could potentially have classroom access for your program if you wanted to teach kids about music technology etc...

Anyhow, if any of this appeals to you or if it triggers any related ideas you want to share, please email me back! Eventually, (as in before May 1st) I'll need proposals from anyone that's serious about this with what you would charge (and i can give you an idea of what is being charged now ), group lesson or individual, what you would offer, etc... I'm also looking at offering different music camps, art camps for 1 - 2 week summer sessions if I can get it put together and approved. This can mean a bit of extra income if you're looking for it and if you like working with small groups of kids.

If you want to forward this along to someone you know, great! Hope to hear from some of you.

Take care and thanks for reading this!
Laura
843-810-9708

0 comments: